Sunday 28 August 2011

Wake up into a dream

Sit and spin in my chair watching history roll out before me Roman ruins and Bubonic sewers cast the rats out into their pits of filth
time turns sideways and I fall through it, the door snaps shut and the clocks keep ticking one second at a time
Wonder about mistakes I made, wish I could change the story I'd go back one hundred years walk along the railroad tracks day and night beneath the sky glazed with constellations over trestles into forests with red-eyed beasts bigger than me
just to fix one thing
But time moves on and on, can't even pretend I understand the way I got here, took a ladder took the stairs
twist the screw and tighten the knot put on the coat turn the collar up
and march out into the cold buried in white they find me still breathing

I sit alone at my desk wife in the other room could feel peace if I chose but
somewhere I know I haven't won yet

No comments:

Post a Comment